How To File For Divorce Compassionate Counsel. Aggressive Advocacy.

How to File for Divorce in Sugar Land

Guiding Clients through a Tough Process

Like any state, Texas has concrete rules and statutes that govern legal separation and divorce. If these regulations are not met, the divorce court will not accept the case and will dismiss it. It is possible to file a divorce yourself, but it does require a deep understanding of the law.

If you need help filing for divorce in Sugar Land, turn to Attorney Lilian Audu. Audu Law Firm delivers client-focused representation and comprehensive guidance through the complications of finalizing a divorce in Texas.

Call (832) 789-8442 to get started with a free consultation.

The Divorce Process in Texas

Once you have complied with all of the state requisites, you can begin the divorce process. A petition of divorce containing personal information must be filed with the court. Subsequently, you must submit duplicates of the original petition to the District Clerk’s office in your respected county and pay the necessary fees. Texas law also requires you to alert your spouse through a process server.

After the respondent receives the notification, an agreement must be made. If the divorce is uncontested, mediation may or may not take place, but the court allows 60 days after the petition is filed before they decide to get involved. Following this, a “Final Decree of Divorce” must be drafted and later signed by the judge if all parties are satisfied. Because of the many steps taken and the unpredictable temperament of both divorcees, the process can be long and drawn out for months.

Reclaiming a Surname

Upon the divorcee’s request, a party may resume a previous last name in the drafted divorce decree. If the court decided against such action, this will also be stated in the document. It is vital to understand that the revival of a surname does not release an individual from any legal liabilities that they may have incurred. Texas divorce court may not deny any rights owed to a previous surname.

To obtain a name change, you will have to submit certain documents. First, gather a certified copy of the Texas divorce decree or a divorce records request letter. You will also need proof of identification – such as a state ID – and proof of age, such as a birth certificate. With these documents, government agencies like the Social Security Office and the Department of Motor Vehicles should be notified and the appropriate documentation can be reissued.

Helping Clients File for Divorce in Sugar Land

When divorce papers are served, it is important to recognize where you stand. Some decide to follow through without retaining a divorce attorney, but this opens the door to a longer and more drawn-out process.

For quick turnaround and certainty, both parties should have their own legal counsel, especially if the divorce is contested. Lilian Audu at the Audu Law Firm deals with all types of clients and unique situations.

Contact the Audu Law Firm at (832) 789-8442 with any questions you have about the divorce process in Texas.

Why Are People Choosing the Audu Law Firm?

  • Communicative, Available, and Approachable From Start to Finish
  • Constant Updates Regarding the Developments in Your Case
  • Compassionate Counsel, yet Aggressive Advocacy During Your Time of Need
  • Comprehensive Initial Consultations for Prospective Clients

Your Rights Are Our Priority

Request Your Free Initial Phone Consultation With Attorney Audu Today!
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.